It’s been half a year since I posted to my blog, and though I doubt anyone’s missed me with the millions of other (probably much more interesting) rants and readings in the blogging world, I’ve decided to make my return.
To spare you the boring details of why I’ve been missing in action, here’s a lightning bolt update on what’s happened in the past 7 months. If you’d prefer an even shorter synopsis, scroll down to the Coles Notes version.
Why did I disappear from blogging?
Those who know me can probably attest that I have some major control issues. And so it pains to admit that for the past 7 months, I’ve let “life” control me instead of taking control of “it”. By failing to maintain any sort of work/life balance, I seemed to have lost my way and my passion for blogging. For awhile, I used to say, “I don’t have anything interesting to blog about.” But then my counter-voice would argue, “Well that’s never stopped you before.” To which, my excuse-voice would say, “Well, I don’t have any time.”
Bullshit. The reality was I didn’t make time because I let my surroundings dictate how my time was being spent.
Coles Notes version: I was too tired at the end of a shitty day to write about it. Before long, shitty days turned into shitty weeks and so on.
You can probably guess from the above that I’ve been failing miserably in my quest for work/life balance. So during the time that I was not blogging, I was probably in 1 of 4 places:
- Still at work
- On my way to or from work
- Sitting under my desk at work (probably crying)
- Or sleeping
That’s not entirely true. I did manage to muster up some spare time here and there, which I spent with Craig. So I did make some efforts to maintain balance, but not nearly anything to be proud of.
Coles Notes version: At work.
What’s changed since then?
Well a few things –
- I turned 30. And I realized that everything they say about turning 30 is TRUE. More to come in another post.
- I became an aunt. And I don’t mean an aunt by association because my husband’s an uncle. I mean a real aunt with a nephew on my side of the family.
- I bought a brand new car. After saving up for the past 3 years, I finally bought myself a brand new 2015 VW Golf. So long to my poor old Civic.
- I was a maid of honour for the first time. Yup, I watched my little sister walk down the aisle and vow to sleep with the same man forever. (tear)
- I was asked to be a bridesmaid. Apparently, I did such a kick-ass job the first time that my amazing friend asked me to be part of her wedding too.
- I celebrated my 1-year wedding anniversary. Yay for making it a full year and no one’s lost their minds yet.
Coles Notes version: I became a grown-up.
So what’s next for me?
Well, let’s wait for the next post and see. I promise it won’t be another 7 months.